Safety Solutions for Oil & Gas Industry
Trunk pipelines, pumping and compressor stations, and other facilities of oil and gas industry infrastructure require modern and reliable control and safety systems. Introduction of those solutions targets the maximum operational efficiency and ensuring safety, minimum idle time, and high standards for product quality and environmental safety. Such complex tasks can be solved by a uniform automated system for control and safety.
This system will:
- Create a uniform standard management project incorporating all of the systems in terms of control and safety;
- Prepare a list of the most efficient pieces of equipment to solve specific tasks;
- Integrate different engineering systems into a single complex;
- Provide modern level of centralized control, management, and monitoring of facilities with recording of all events;
- Ensure savings on the account of prevention of unsanctioned intrusions into trunk pipelines with the purpose of stealing the transported products; and
- Decrease the negative environmental impact by means of developing an efficient system to detect leakages and to control corrosion in trunk pipelines.
Complex automated management, control, and safety system should include the following:
- trunk pipeline protection system;
- local facility safety system;
- information protection system;
- advanced control center;
- comprehensive safety software platform.
Trunk Pipeline Protection System
This system is intended for early detection of intrusions into trunk pipeline facilities and for prevention of unsanctioned access to guarded areas.
These objectives are reached by a fiber-optic alarm system, which is perfect for the purposes of guarding pipelines and perimeters and the telecom networks alongside pipelines and their adjacent facilities.
This type of protection system uses the method of distributed acoustic sensing (DAS). An optical electronic element affixed to a fiber optic cable transforms the entire item into a sensitive detection device.
After analyzing the reflected optical signal and the difference in time between the sendout of an impulse and the return of the reflected signal, a control device is able to determine the status of the signal in all points of the fiber-optic cable. The system can detect a change in an acoustic signal at a large distance and determine the distance from a control device to a detection point.
The supervision (monitoring) of all the pipeline intactness makes it possible to timely detect and localize the leakages and damages caused by landslides and the points of unsanctioned intrusion.
Local Facility Safety SystemA local facility safety system consists of a set of technical safety tools and includes the following subsystems:
- security video surveillance system;
- technological safety video surveillance system;
- access control and management system;
- alarm system;
- perimeter security system.
Main functions of control system for a set of technical safety tools:
Control system is a software complex atop of all other systems meeting the following criteria:
- It has a modular structure enabling the linkage to various safety systems;
- It makes it possible to broaden the operational solutions and to add up elements to the system (final control elements, AWS operators, etc.); and
- Flexible interface enabling the formation of user interfaces based on functional objectives.
Control system ensures completion of the following tasks:
- Receipt of information about the condition of all systems and elements;
- Receipt and processing of alarm signals from each of the systems (from specific types of terminal devices);
- Visualization of the received information for the operators in a convenient form: planning, list of alarms, running letters, duty monitor, alarm monitor, and other;
- Producing acoustic signals and voice messages for an operator and for a troubled area;
- Fulfillment of alarm processing scenarios;
- Provision of convenient instructions for standard and non-standard situations to an operator and ensuring control of how those instructions are followed;
- Complete logging of all recorded events.
The main functions of security video surveillance system are as follows:
- The operators will receive the main share of the actual information from a security video surveillance system, and therefore we pay special attention to it when designing a uniform integrated system.
- Security video surveillance system provides nonstop round-the-clock collection of video (audio) information and makes it possible to archive the received data and to provide it to the operators in the online mode. It also enables the access to the archive in order to search, analyze, and export the data.
The main functions of access control and management system (ACMS) are as follows:
Access control and management system is intended to ensure that the access granting and the staff in-house movement control policies are complied with, and it is also intended for supervision of how motor vehicles and other machinery move around.
In order to manage the moving processes within a guarded area, personal identifiers, readout devices, access restriction devices, and hardware/software analysis and control tools are utilized. round.
ACMS ensures a stable control of how control elements operate in various working modes, differentiates the access to guarded areas according to prescribed rules, and provides operators with online information on the condition of subsystems and mechanisms.
ACMS is a part of the KSB and it operates in close cooperation with other systems.
According to the facility safety plan, the access control and management system makes it possible to create several groups of users with different levels of access:
- Central Post Operator has priority over any other operators of the system (except for the senior shift operator and security department supervisor);
- Local Safety Post Operator;
- Checkpoint Operator has the access to all final control elements within the checkpoint: gates, wickets, and turnstiles);
- Pass Office Operator has the access to the whole identifier database and can make additions, deletions, and editing of user data.
The main functions of an alarm system are as follows:
Alarm system ensures protection of separately located facilities, enclosed areas, and facility perimeters. The system uses central supervision check desks, central security panels, and alarming devices for the operators to localize the intrusions detected and the alarms raised.
Each of the guarded areas can be put on or taken off the security watch and the status of a guarded area can be localized by a particular building operator (central post operator).
- Keyboards (exact location to be determined at the implementation stage);
- Personal access codes if the ACMS readout devices are required.
Perimeter Security System
The system developed perfectly fits the facilities where it is necessary to ensure the protection from the attempts to cut through the fencing or to get over it.
The improved communication protocol broadens the opportunities for the interaction of the system units by means of a sensitive element. The system mounted on the fencing will use modern algorithms for digital signal processing (DSP) and will make it possible to detect the place of attempted intrusion with the accuracy of up to 3 meters in range, and it will not react to false alarms and interferences caused by rain, wind or road traffic. The best signal/noise ratio in such a system, same as the wide frequency range, will significantly increase the accuracy of detection of the intrusion places and will minimize the probability of occurrence of false alarms (FAR/NAR).
A system of radio ray sensors for perimeter protection mounted at open spaces, gates, approach ways, walls, and roofs. It is based on proven technologies of radio ray emission and it makes it possible to detect an intrusion with the minimum number of false alarms. The advances digital signal processing (DSP) makes it possible to continuously trace the alarm signals and process the parameters of the detected field.
The desire to control ever larger numbers of parameters in complex distributed control systems used in technological processes and production and transportation flows and in data transmission networks sets the increased requirements to the present-day instruments for real-time imaging and visualization of continuously incoming information.
In order to improve the efficiency of the operators’ work and the fast responses to occurring events, it is suggested to have a control center equipped with modern systems for data visualization.
- single analytical database;
- interactive map of recorded events;
- fast response to and correct decision for the occurring events;
- history of events and response;
- control and monitoring of the entire security system.